A Perfect Whirl-Wind:

Letter from Shiloh

1st Lt. F. M. Posegate
48th OVI

Introduction and Comments
by Stephen E. Williams


Lt. Frank Posegate’s Account of the Battle of Shiloh in a Letter Home

On April 11, 1862 Frank Posegate was a 1st Lt. in Company A of the 48th OVI and the acting adjutant of the regiment. On that day the 24-year-old Lieutenant spent several hours penning a letter to his wife Sallie Posegate who was staying with her father, merchant James Johnson of Highland, Ohio. Lt. Posegate wrote first on both sides of two large 8 ½ X 16 1/8” pieces of paper and then on both sides of four 7 ½ X 9 ½” pieces. A master printer by trade, who had owned and edited the St. Joseph (Missouri) Weekly West and Daily West newspapers until he had been forced out of town for his strong pro-Union editorials; he was used to rapidly and accurately writing copy, and on April 11 he composed the story of the Battle of Shiloh from his perspective. Only a small portion of the letter is personal and intended only for his family. For the most part it is a news story intended for the folks back home including the families of the soldiers in his Company A 48th OVI and in Company D which he would ultimately command as captain. The story was to be read by his father-in-law in his store to the public. Frank Posegate tells Sallie: “If your father desires to read this letter at the store, you can erase with a pencil what interests only you, and let him read the balance. Tell him not to lend it to any paper, for it is written in a great hurry and I do not care about having my effusions criticized by the public.” That the letter was very likely read publicly is testified to by Sallie Posegate’s pencil marks across the personal parts of the letter (\\\\\\\\). In one place someone, possibly Posegate himself, who may have thought better of the tone of his statement, marks through an uncomplimentary remark about the regiment’s colonel very heavily. In places words are scratched through by Posegate during the composition of the letter with horizontal lines and sometimes replaced with words written above them. These false starts in composition were intended by Lt. Posegate to be omitted and so we have omitted them in our transcription. We have used strike through font in the places where Sallie marked out portions of the letter and in the place heavily marked out with pencil. In general there are few paragraphs until near the end of the letter. This may be due to hurried writing or to a desire to save paper on Posegate’s part but overall the letter is very well organized considering that it was largely written in one sitting. This transcription was done by S. E. Williams and D. D. Worth from the original text. An earlier transcription by the David Williams family was consulted by S. E. Williams in making the initial draft for interpreting some of the less legible words.

Provenance. F. M. Posegate himself probably kept this letter until his death in 1917. A large amount of his official correspondence was also saved but this is the only surviving personal letter to Sallie. It is probable the more intimate letters to Sallie were not kept after Sallie’s death in 1878 and Posegate’s remarriage to Emma Cushman in 1882. It is likely that Emma, who received Capt. Posegate’s Civil War Pension, had the letter in her possession until her death in 1941. Stephen A. Williams, Frank and Emma Posegate’s grandson remembered the letter was read to the family when he was a boy. Upon Emma’s death in 1941 the letter would have passed into the position of his daughter Dorothea Posegate Williams, who carefully kept many of her father’s positions. I thought that the letter was lost until I heard from my cousin, Linda Strauch, that the letter was in possession of my Aunt Lucy Williams. The “Dave” on the white tape attached to the letter is David Cushman Williams, Frank and Emma Posegate’s grandson. When Lucy Williams, Dave Williams wife, died in 10/29/2009 the letter passed to her daughter Linda Strauch who has allowed us to transcribe it and post it on the 48th OVI website.

Francis M. (Frank) Posegate’s biography can be found elsewhere on this site. A manuscript for an unpublished after dinner speech by Frank Posegate “The Sunday Battle at Shiloh” last revised in 1914 can be found at:



                                    Camp Shiloh, Near Pittsburg Land[ing]
                                    April 11, 1862
My Own Darling Wife1
         Since writing you last, events have been thickening until at last they culminated in one of the grandest battles the world has ever known. We had, during the week preceding the battle, several picket-skirmishes with the enemy, but no one, for a moment, supposed they would have the temerity to attack us. On Thursday our Brigade was ordered out on a recnoitering [Reconnoitering] expedition. We marched some three miles from camp, where we threw out skirmishers. Our advance had only been out a few minutes when we heard rapid firing on our right and left. So soon as the firing was heard the Brigade2 was halted, and we all anxiously awaited tidings from our skirmishers. A messenger soon came in and stated that a small force of Rebel Cavalry had attacked our little band. Col. Buckland, commanding the Brigade , sent them word to fall back immediately on our main force. They succeeded in reforming us, without the loss of a man, and after waiting some time, we leisurely fell back to our camp, all well satisfied with the day’s trip. On Friday the Long-Roll was again beaten in our Camp. The Brigade was called out and formed in line of battle on our own color-line to await orders. News came in that our pickets had been attacked, and a Major, together with several privates and a Lieutenant taken prisoner3. We were ordered to march out and see how matters stood. Just as we started from camp heavy firing was heard in the distance and we all supposed a pretty good prospect existed for a skirmish. We marched to our picket lines, formed in line of battle and sent forward a scouting party of Cavalry. The Cavalry returned in a couple of hours and reported that the enemy were simply reconnoitering in force. Genl. Sherman4 after strengthening the outposts ordered us back to Camp. Everything quieted down once more and continued so until late Saturday evening, when the Long-Roll once more caused us to fall into line-of-battle. It was reported that a large force of the enemy were advancing on us, and that their skirmishers could even then be seen by our pickets. For some reason, inexplicable to me, our General seemed to place no reliance in the report - or at least paid very little attention to it - and we were once more ordered back to our quarters, without even a caution to be ready for battle. No one seemed to think it possible for the Rebels to attack us and on Saturday night, preceding the battle I slept as soundly as I ever did in my life. Sweet dreams of home visited me, unmarred by a single thought of the fearful carnage to take place in so few hours. Sunday morning the Sun came up unobscured by a single cloud, the little birds were singing cheerily thro’ the woods, and everything seemed so peaceful and quiet, that the looker-on would naturally be led to think of everything else in preference to War – Unholy – Grim-waged War. Lafayette [Lt. Posegate’s servant] had just called us to Breakfast, and we had barely commenced discussing the edibles when the Long-Roll some distance on the right, sounded out shrill and distinct on the clear morning air. We listened but a moment, when the sound of rapid firing of musketry greeted our ears. Our Adjutant5 having been thrown from his horse some days before, I was acting in his place. I immediately had the Long-Roll beaten, hastily buckled on my sword and went to the front of our line to form the Battalion. The boys all rushed to their arms and only a few minutes elapsed ere the Regiment was ready for battle. In the meantime the 72nd and 70th6 had formed their lines and the whole Brigade stood prepared to receive the enemy, should they advance. We had been in line only a few minutes when our Regiment was ordered to march down a Road immediately in our front. The boys all marched off briskly but had only proceeded some three hundred yards down the hill when we received what seemed to be a whole Brigade moving rapidly thro’ the woods as if attempting to flank us on the right. Col. Parker7 immediately gave the
Command to Counter-March when we came back up the hill and formed in rapidly on the left of the 72nd. The line was hardly completed when the enemy opened on us with a perfect shower of bullets. Our boys stood firm and returned the fire. At the first fire I was in the center of the Battalion. [2nd Lt. Cyrus] Hussey8 being sick I thought of Co. A, Knowing that no officer but Dick [Capt. Richard S. Robbins9] was with them, and I was particularly anxious that Co. A should stand firm and maintain her reputation. I passed thro’ the line and rapidly up its rear to the right where our Company was. I found it standing up nobly, the boys seemingly not in the least excited and Dick perfectly cool. Our Regiment was then ordered to take advantage of the trees, continue firing at will, to not shoot without taking deliberate aim, and to maintain its ground. I do not think I was in the least excited. The fire of the enemy seemed like a perfect whirl-wind, and it was a matter of wonder to me that our whole line was not swept away by it at the first fire. I continued with Co. A during the whole of this fight, as there was nothing for an adjutant to do after the first fire. I took position, as much covered as possible, and watched the action of our boys. Cy Hussey had by this time got out of bed, come out to the field and was standing on my left, while Dick was on the right. -- Billy Lang10 [of the Band], who had taken a musket, and was fighting with our company, was standing only a few feet from me. All of a sudden Billy dropped his gun and fell back, pale as death into my arms. I supposed him mortally wounded and handed him to another one of the band boys and told him to take him from the field. I learned the next day that Billy had simply been struck in the groin by a spent ball -- doing no other injury than to some what stun him. He is now entirely over it. Elias Henry, and another member of the band, was standing some ten feet to my left. I was looking at him, admiring his coolness, when his gun suddenly dropped from his grasp and throwing his hand to his forehead he fell full length on the ground. I looked at him a moment -- he made one attempt to rise but fell back. Something called my attention from him for a moment and when I looked for him again, he was gone. I supposed he had been carried dead from the field. The next morning I was told that he had walked from the field, and that he had been taken down the river among the wounded, having a pretty severe wound in the head. Yesterday morning, however a party of our men were sent out to bury the dead, where it is said they found Elias, stiff and cold in death. I am in hopes he is not dead -- but I fear there is too much truth in the report11. A few moments after Henry had fallen, Clement Tudor12, one of the finest boys in our company, fell dead not six paces from where I stood. He was fighting nobly, and his fall is deeply regretted by the whole company. Just at this time David Morgan13, [Corp.] George Conard14, and David Woosley15, all of our Company, came limping past, all wounded. Morgan thro’ the bowels, and the two latter in the feet. Geo is pretty seriously wounded, and it will be some time before he will be able to use his foot16. We stood our ground about two-and-a-half hours. Not one man, as I could see flinched. I can compare the flight of the balls to nothing less than a hail-storm. During that terrible two-and-a-half hours many amusing circumstances occurred, and several times I found myself smiling at the grotesque figures cut by some of our boys.-- For instance [1st Sgt.] T. M. Wright17,some twenty-feet to my right, and somewhat in advance was standing behind a little sapling deliberately loading and firing. After each fire he manifested the greatest desire to see the affect of his shot, and to MC’s credit -- I will say, that, so far as I could see, all his shots were close. Little Edw. Beeson43 also fought with coolness. William Edwards18, (son of old Bobby) also did fine execution. I was staying pretty close to Edwards when some one fired over his shoulder at the enemy. Billy thinking they were firing rather close to him turned round and yelled out “shoot at the enemy, not at me.” In Camp Dennison, Edwards cooked for one of the messes, and a com-
mon by-word with him when anyone would intrude into the kitchen was “fall-in-cooks”. After I was wounded I heard Edwards yell out “fall-in-cooks” and as painful as was my wound I could not help smiling. Our Regiment maintained its ground until ordered to fall back on our own color-line. We repulsed the enemy twice, and even after we had fallen back they hesitated to follow us up. After falling back and reforming our line, we were ordered to lie down and wait for the enemy to come up the hill. While there a battery of our artillery came up, and opened fire upon a battery of the enemy that had been firing shot and shell at us for the last hour. The battery had only fired some two or three rounds, when it wheeled and left us. General Sherman’s Adjutant [AAG]19 then rode along our line -- said the 48th was the best green Regiment in the Division -- had maintained its position longer than any other Regiment and ordered us to fall back to the Purdy road. In order to get to this road we were compelled to fall back directly through our own camp. It went very much against the grain of our boys to go thro’ their own camp and leave everything at the mercy of the enemy, but no other alternative existed --the enemy had flanked us and was rapidly gaining our rear. We saved nothing from our tents whatever except our company papers. I lost everything except what I had on my back, as did every other officer in the Regiment. When the fight commenced I had on a blouse and did not take time to put on my dress-coat, and consequently lost it. We fell back to the Purdy road, some half mile where we about faced and formed a new line of battle. We halted there, however, only a few minutes as the entire left of our Division had given way, and it was sheer madness for us to attempt a stand, with the certainty of being cut off staring us in the face. The order to again fall back was accordingly given, When we about faced and were moving tolerably steady thro’ the woods, when the enemy succeeded in gaining the range of our left flank and poured a destructive fire along our whole line. In its this fire I was wounded, the ball striking me on the left shoulder blade, making a wound some two and a half inches long and perhaps an inch and a half deep. No bones were broken and the wound is fast getting well. The ball when it struck me did not seem to hurt much, and I supposed it was a mere scratch. It did not knock me down, though it twisted me round considerably. I went on with the Regiment, about a quarter of a mile to where we gained the shelter of a small ravine, made a stand and once more repulsed the Rebels - shooting their colors down, and causing them to fall back some little. Their battery however soon came up and commenced firing into us with shell and grape, and we were again compelled to give way. By this time my wound was hurting me severely, and I was quite sick from its effect. I took off my blouse and Tom Hessler20 examined it and tied it up the best he could with a silk handkerchief. An ambulance coming along about this time, the boys put me in it and insisted on my going to the river. George Conard together with one or two of our boys were in the ambulance. The enemy again coming in sight, I got out of the Ambulance, found what was left of the Regiment, and made my way with it thro’ a swamp to where the balance of the Regiment was, drawn up in the rear of some fresh regiments. Here I was compelled to leave the boys and go to the river and have my shoulder attended to. I reached the river about two o’clock, and went on board the steamer Hannibal. The first person I met on board the boat was Capt. J. W. Frazee21 [Co. C], of our Regiment, who has been very sick ever since we have been here. He took me into his room gave me something to stimulate me and had my wound dressed. After washing and fixing up my shoulder I felt very well, and managed to get up on the deck of the boat. The boat had dropped down about a mile and crossed the river. From the firing I could

tell that the Rebels were slowly driving our men towards the river. I could not think that they were whipping us but from my stand point appearances indicated that such was the case. There had as yet been very little artillery fighting on our side, and as I had noticed some heavy artillery as I came in in [sic.] I was momentarily expecting to hear our heavy guns open on them. The firing was getting nearer -- our men I could see falling back -- and I had almost given up every thing for lost, when our heavy artillery, accompanied by the gun-boats Tyler and Conestoga22 let loose. It was now nearly sun-down, the smoke, had made the atmosphere hazy, and it was difficult to distinguish objects on the opposite bank of the river. The Rebels had got a battery sufficiently near to throw shell into the river and were attempting to damage the Gun-boats. In this they did not succeed. Our artillery was too much for them, and they were compelled to fall back out of range. I believe at this time that nearly every officer and man in the Union Army believed we were whipped, and that unless we received reinforcements surrender would be our only alternative. Happily for us, when the Rebels momentarily fell back, Nelson’s Division23 of Buell’s Army24 hove in sight on the opposite bank. I am told that Buell, in person, immediately crossed the river, rode up to our lines and told our Gen’ls to keep them in check until he could get his forces over and he would take the fight off our hands. In a few minutes the Rebels again renewed the attack, and Oh! What terrible fighting then took place. Our men were then fighting against time -- they knew Buell was crossing, and that so soon as he could get to their assistance all would be well. The Rebels seemed to know it also, for their efforts were apparently redoubled. They would charge and re-charge upon our Battery -- but all to no effect. The big guns and the Gunboats kept them at bay until night closed in, when with the exception of an occasional shell from the Gunboats, the fight ceased for the night. Our boat now recrossed the river. A great many wounded had been taken aboard the boat before I got there and I was making my way around among them, when I met a Captain with his hand shot to pieces. He had just had his hand dressed, and his face looking familiar I approached him, and found him to be a Mr. Nichols25 from St. Joseph, Mo. I had done some business with him in St. Joseph, and he knew me well by reputation. He told me that his wife was on the boat, and asked me to go down with him and see her. I did so and found her to be very much of a lady. They kindly gave me a bunk in their State-room, and ministered to my wants as though I had been a blood-relative. If My darling wife should ever meet that lady she will Know how to return thanks for this kindness shown her wounded husband. She had just helped Me into bed when I heard a voice in the cabin that sounded like Dick’s. I asked her if she would open her door and call for Capt. Robbins. She did so, and Dick came to the door, together with Cy Hussey. They told me that the the Regiment was very much scattered but that it would perhaps be got together by morning. They stayed on the boat that night. I told them that I thought I would be able to join the Company next day. I did not sleep much that night, as my shoulder was quite painful. Next morning when I attempted to get out of bed I found that I could not do so without help -- I could not get my boots on by myself, so, thro’ the persuasion of Capt Frazee and other friends on the boat I concluded to remain aboard.--
       The Fight commenced again on Monday morning about day-light. During the night Buell had crossed a larger portion of his

force and our whole army seemed to be wild with enthusiasm. I got up on the hurricane deck as soon as I could in the morning -- the better to hear and watch the progress of the fight. For about three hours there was an incessant roar of musketry and artillery -- neither party seemed to be gaining any advantage, and though I had no doubt but we would eventually drive them back, it appeared to me our whole army would be cut to pieces before accomplishing that object. The wounded were being brought in by scores -- soon all the steam-boats at the landing (some 15 in No.) were crowded to their utmost capacity. The Surgeons were all busily employed -- but with their utmost-exertions they could not keep pace with the number of wounded. God only knows I do not desire to witness another such horrible scene as was displayed on the boat on which I was. Here would come a poor fellow with a hand shot off -- another with a leg shattered -- another with the whole side of his face carried away.-- in fact it looked to me as though there was no part of the human body in which some of the poor fellows who were not wounded in. I remained quietly on board the boat till about 1 o’clock P.M. When, as my arm felt a little easier I determined to find the Regiment and assist what little I could in driving the Rebels. I said nothing to anyone, but very quietly left the boat and was making my way towards the firing, and had reached

a point about a half mile from the boat, when I met Col. Sullivan26, on horse-back, with his arm-broken. I had him go into a tent close by until I could go to the boat and see what accommodation I could get for him there. The Captain told me to bring him aboard and he would do the best he could. I went back and bro’t the col to the boat -- got him fixed comfortably, and by that time found I was almost completely exhausted.-- The exertion had aggravated my wound and it was now very painful, so I concluded I had better stay on the boat. About this time our men appeared to be driving the Rebels -- The fire gradually receded, and by five o’clock was almost entirely out of hearing. I stayed on board the boat that night and until after dinner Tuesday, when I concluded I would try and make my way back to our late Camp. I accordingly went ashore, found one of Co. A’s boys - William Frazier27 - and with his assistance managed to get back to camp. It is useless for me to attempt a description of that portion of the battle-field over which I passed in regaining our Camp. The dead and wounded of both sides were strewn almost in countless numbers. The Rebels seemed to have sustained greater loss. Our artillery had done a terrible execution. In several different places I counted from three to five Rebels, almost touching each other, their bodies most horribly mutilated. The battle-field is some four miles square, and

in simply coming from the boat to our camp, almost in a direct line, I of course could not see much of the havoc that had been made, but what I saw was sufficient to satisfy me. I had no desire to hunt up more horrible sights than appeared in that walk from the river to our Camp. My progress towards the Camp was naturally very slow and I did not arrive there until late. When within, perhaps, half a mile of the Camp, a very heavy fire of musketry greeted our ears, seeming some two miles distant28. This firing proved to be the last struggle of the Rebels before breaking into a general route -- The defeat of the Rebels is complete -- the road from here on, for miles, is said to be strewn with the dead and wounded of the enemy – together with their wagons, guns, Knapsacks, accoutrements, &c. To give you an idea as to how nobly our Regiment fought during Sunday morning, it is only necessary for me to say that after the enemy had been driven back, 150 dead Rebels were found almost in front of our line-of-battle -- sixty-four (64) of these being directly in range of the fire of Co. A. Gen’l Sherman complimented us very highly, and the boys all feel very proud of his compliment. I would like to speak particularly of each member of our Company, but space will not permit-- suffice to say, they all fought well, and deserve to be honored by their friends at home. Co. A’s loss is Clement Tudor, Killed on the Field--

David Morgan, died Monday from his wounds, in addition to these two dead ten of our boys were more or less wounded -- Geo. Conard and myself the most seriously. Captain [Cyrus] Elwood’s company [D]29 did well. Capt. Elwood was thro’ the whole of the fight, and perhaps those at home who have, I am told, abused him will award him the credit of standing fire. Asa Adams30 [Co. D] I understand is wounded in the shoulder. He is now on board the Hospital boats. I am in hopes he is not badly wounded. Before closing, I must speak a few words in praise of [Sgt.] J. Edw McVay31 [Co. A] and Mahlon Davis32 [Co. A], as this action came particularly under my notice. McVay was cool and collected -- assisted in rallying the men and fired with great deliberation. Early in the fight Sunday, Mahlon Davis’ gun bursted; he brought it to me, and with a most quizzical expression on his face inquired what he should do, I pointed to the gun of Elias Henry, lying where he had dropped it, and told him to use it; Mahlon laid his own bursted gun down, apparently with great care, walked calmly, right in the face of the enemy’s fire, to where the gun was, picked it up, examined to see if it was all right, turned on his heel, walked back to his position and coolly commenced loading. I have only scrutinized some few instances of personal

bravery, because they came under my own observation. Our Regiment lost in killed, about twenty -- In wounded and missing near one hundred. Our Surgeon, Dr. M. T. Carey33, was taken prisoner. Col. Sullivan, acted with apparent bravery, but during the entire fight, was, to all intents and purposes a maniac. Col. Parker deserves credit -- for his coolness, and decision during the fight on Sunday morning;- after that time I did not see him in an engagement but was told by those who did see him that he acted the part of a brave and discreet man. Col. Sullivan I understand, started for home yesterday. None of us regrets his going very much. Since the fight here, our forces have been very much strengthened. What the next move will be is hard to tell. Some of the officers seem to think Beauregard34 will again attack us here. My own opinion is that nothing will be done for some days yet, and that when a move is made, our forces will go on and attack Corinth. The Rebels will make, perhaps, a desperate stand at Corinth, but our Army is a victorious one, and I think will over-come every obstacle. If the fight does not come off for a week or two I will be able to take a hand in it, as my shoulder is comfortable and I can now use my arm considerably. I have no desire though, my darling, to ever see another fight, I

would be well pleased if the whipping we gave the Rebels in this fight would satisfy them. If, however, they persist in standing out against us, we will have no other alternative but to march on, and if necessary, deluge every foot of ground over which we pass with blood. Your letter of the 1st was rec’d this morning, and was indeed welcome. I wrote you a long letter, just one week before the battle, and handed it to Mr. Spencer of the “On Times.”35[?] I have since understood that he did not start for home until after the battle. If such is the case I suppose you have not yet received it. I will look anxiously for an answer to this, Knowing that you will be in great suspense until you hear from me personally.
        I also received two letters from John Wells and one from James McClure36. Your father may tell John Wells37 that I will answer his letters and instruct him what to do, just so soon as I am in condition to do so. He may also tell Jim McClure that I am much obliged to him for his favor, and will answer it at the earliest possible moment. If your father38 desires to read this letter at the store, you can erase with a pencil what you interests only you, and let him read the balance. Tell him not to lend it to any paper, for it is written in a great hurry and I do not care about having my effusions

criticized by the public.
           I would indeed be happy if I could come home to my little family, and live the balance of my days in peace. But it cannot be, just yet, so I must keep stout heart, and push boldly on. Every defeat the enemy receives certainly brings this war so much nearer the close. One or two more such crushing defeats as they have received in this battle will certainly completely demoralize the Rebel Army, and when that takes place I think the fighting must cease--
           We have a rumor this morning that Gen’l Pope39 has succeeded in crossing the river below No 10 and taken a large number of prisoners, together with a great deal of Artillery -- God grant that this rumer may be true --
           Tell Kate I have the little piece of leather[?] she sent me. Pappa, when he comes home, will bring his little Kate something nice - She must be a good girl & mind mamma and take care of little sister Ella40--
           I must quit writing now and send this to the river for mailing, as another opportunity may not offer for a day or two[.] Good bye for the present, and may God bless and protect my Wife and children. --
             Your Husband

P. S. I received in addition to my wound in the shoulder a ball thro’ my cap cover, and one ball grazed the forefinger of my right hand. -- Since the counting of the dead in front of our lines a grave has been found, made by the Rebels, some ten feet square -- it must contain some thirty or forty dead Rebels -- thus making the number killed by our brigade over two hundred. So our Regiment is the credit of killing Gen’l A. S. Johnston and Braxton Bragg42. Whether this is true I cannot tell -- Though it is pretty well authenticated and is generally believed -- Love and Kisses to my darling. Frank

1Sarah (Sallie) Johnson Posegate; In Highland, Ohio with her father, James Johnson’s family
2Col. Ralph P. Buckland 72nd Ohio; Commander of the 4th Brigade, 5th Division
3Major Crockett of the 77th Ohio was taken prisoner on 6/4/1862 with about 6 soldiers of the 70th OVI and Lt. John J. Greer, 48thOVI who was on Col. Buckland’s staff
4Brig. Gen. William T. Sherman; Commander of the 5th Division, Army of the Tennessee
51st Lt. Robert C. McGill; Adjutant of the 48th OVI
6The 48th, 72nd and 70th OVI Regiments were in Col. Buckland’s Brigade of Gen. Sherman’s 5th Division
7Lt. Col. Job R. Parker, second in command of the 48th OVI
82nd Lt. Cyrus (Cy) Hussey; Co, A. 48th OVI
9Capt. Richard S. Robbins, Co. A 48th OVI
10William B. Lang of the 48th OVI Band which join the ranks with muskets for the battle resulting in the loss of their instruments and the discharge of the band after the battle
11Musician Elias M. Henry; Band 48th OVI, is listed as being killed at Shiloh
12Pvt. Clement (Clem) Tudor; Co. A 48th OVI; Killed in battle at Shiloh
13Pvt. David Morgan, Co A, died at Shiloh
14Corp. George Conard; Co. A 48th OVI
15Pvt. David Woosley; Co. A 48th OVI; Died of wounds received May 22, 1863, in battle of Vicksburg, Ms; interred in Jefferson Barracks Cemetery
16Corp. George Conard was discharged for disability 7/11/62
171st Sgt. Thomas M. Wright; Co. A 48th OVI
18Pvt. William (Billy) Edwards; Co. A 48th OVI
19Capt. J. H. Hammond, 5th Division Assistant Adjutant General (AAG)
20Pvt. Thomas J. (Tom) Hessler; Co. A 48th OVI
21Capt. John W. Frazee; Co. C 48th OVI
22USS Tyler and USS Lexington were at Pittsburg Landing, USS Conestoga was with them at Ft. Henry and Ft. Donaldson but is not mentioned in most accounts of the battle of Shiloh
23Brig.-Gen. William Nelson; 4th Division of the Army of the Ohio
24Maj.-Gen. Don Carlos Buell’s Army of the Ohio
25Capt. Frederic C. Nichols; Co. A 25th Mo. Vol. Inf. (Union) The Captain was from St. Joseph, Mo. Where Lt. Posegate lived before the war
26Col. Peter J. Sullivan Commander of the 48th OVI
27Pvt. William Frazier; Co. A 48th OVI
28This is likely to be the Skirmish at “Fallen Timbers” which the 48th OVI participated in
29Companys A and D were recruited from the same region of Highland and Clinton Counties and knew each other from before the war. F. M. Posegate would become Captain of Company D
30Pvt. Asa L. Adams; Co. D 48th OVI; Died of wounds received April 6, 1862, in battle
31Sgt. J. Edw McVay; Co. A 48th OVI
32Davis, Pvt. Mahlon; Co. A 48th OVI
33Dr. Milton T. Carey; Surgeon, 48th OVI
34Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard; CSA Commanding the Army of the Mississippi
35Mr. Spencer of the “On Times.” Mail service.?
36McClure, Mr. James of Highland County?
37Wells, Mr. John Father of Pvt. William Wells
38Johnson, James C.; Father of Sarah Posegate and owner of a store in Highland, Ohio
39Brig. Gen. John Pope
40Kate (6) and Ella (1) are Frank and Sallie Posegate’s two daughters
411st Lt. Francis M. Posegate; Co. A 48th OVI
42Neither General was killed by the 48th OVI. A. S. Johnston was killed in another sector and Braxton Bragg lived until 1917
43Pvt. Edward B. Beeson, Co. A, 48th OVI


The material on this page is Copyright, 2010, by Stephen Williams. All rights reserved. It is published here by permission of Mr. Williams.






Return to the 48th OVVI Home Page