|Click on image to view the camp, looking west across the Little Miami Railroad tracks which bisected the camp. This view, published in Harper's Weekly, depicts the camp during the late summer of 1861. The shanties shown in this view extended for over a mile and a half. They were constructed by the soldiers who arrived at the camp that spring.|
"We arrived at Camp Dennison at 10 A. M. and were introduced to Colonel P. J. Sullivan, who welcomed us in a short, patriotic speech, after which we gave him three rousing cheers, and were marched to the quarters of Capt. Parker's company, from New Lexington, Highland county, Ohio, where we partook of our first meal, furnished by "Uncle Sam," which consisted of coffee, rice, potatoes, bacon and bread...
We were then assigned to our quarters, consisting of frame shanties, ten by twelve feet, with room sufficient to accommodate twelve men. Each company had eight shanties, one kitchen, and a building for the officers.
Original patriotic envelope from Camp Dennison
The every day duty of the Regiment was squad, company and battalion drill, with dress parade in the evening, besides regular guard and fatigue duty. On Sundays, at 9 o'clock A. M., the companies were drawn up in a line, and inspected by their respective Captains. After the inspection the first Sergeants read the "Articles of War," in which nearly every other section ended, "Any violator of said section shall suffer death, or such other punishment as by a court martial shall be inflicted."
After inspection the companies were dismissed until 11 o'clock A. M. when they were marched to the Colonel's quarters, where a sermon was preached by the Chaplain. With dress-parade in the evening, the Sabbath day duties were closed, excepting for those on guard."
48th Ohio Vet. Vol. Inf. Regimental History, Bering & Montgomery, 1880
Divine services held on the grounds of the camp near the officers quarters.
These services were attended by hundreds of soldiers at the camp and
visitors from the surrounding community and were officiated by local clergy.
Camp Dennison, Cincinnati, Ohio, East of the Railroad
Harper's Weekly, August 31, 1861
Camp Dennison in the 1930's
courtesy of Jace Delgado of JRD Photography, Shalimar, FL
Camp Dennison : taken from Old Aunt Roady's Hill
Drawn by Johnson in the Zouave Lt. Guard, Company A. Johnson.
Cincinnati : Gibson & Co. Lith., [186-]
Click on image for larger view
JOHN RICHARDON'S LETTERS FROM CAMP DENNISON
WILLAM J. SROFE 'S LETTERS FROM CAMP DENNISON
Camp Dennison Today
Northern entrance to the town of Camp Dennison (Hwy 126)
View of the Little Miami River
Monument to Camp Dennison is behind the "modern" cannon
Camp Dennison Monument
Waldschmidt House ("Camp Dennison Guard House")
Three photos above are courtesy of Jace Delgado of JRD Photography, Shalimar, FL
Camp Dennison patriotic cover