Dr. George R. Conard

Excepted from HISTORY OF CLINTON COUNTY, OHIO.
W.H. BEERS AND COMPANY

Contributed by Stephen E. Williams

 

DR. GEORGE R. CONARD, physician, New Vienna, born in Lancaster County, Penn., January 5, 1842; is a son of Benjamin and Eliza (Roberts) Conard, natives of Chester County, Penn. The grandparents, Cornelius and Susanna Conard, were also natives of Pennsylvania, where they lived and died. Their ancestors were from Germany. The maternal grandparents were George and Alice Roberts, also natives of Pennsylvania. They were of Welsh descent. They were farmers by occupation, and when advanced in years removed to Wilmington, Del., where they died, he at the age of eighty-four years, and she at eighty-six years. Benjamin Conard grew to manhood, and married in his native State, where they resided till the spring of 1850. They removed by private conveyance to Ohio, and located in Highland County, where he bought a farm and resided till 1865, when he sold oat and moved to Hillsboro, and in 1866, purchased a queensware store, where he has since continued business. Mr. Conard is in religion a Hicksite Quaker, and in character and integrity is held in high esteem, and is much respected by a large circle of acquaintances. Though taking no active part in political matters, and never desiring nor seeking office, yet by the wishes of the people he has been Township Trustee many years, and has served as Treasurer of the Building and Loan Association, and in other positions of trust. He never attended school but three months in his life, and yet is a good scholar, and is strictly a self-made man, and one who socially and morally has few superiors. He has been thrice married, first to Mary Ann Moore, by whom he had one child; died in infancy, she dying very soon after. By his second wife, Eliza Roberts, he had eleven children; seven now survive-Almira (married William Cary), Cornelius (resides at Carthage, Mo.), Alice (married Cyrus Johnson, resides at Hot Springs, Ark.), George R., William, Elwood H. (resides in Chester County, Penn.), and Mary (who married Emil Mente, and resides at Cumminsville, a tobacco dealer in Cincinnati). Mrs. Conard died in April, 1852. For his third wife he married Mrs. Elizabeth Johnson (nee Hussey), by whom he has one child-Emma. Our subject was eight years of age when his father and family came to Ohio, and here grew to manhood, brought up to farm labor, but when quite young, about sixteen years of age, he became tired of the routine labor of the farm, having a special thirst to obtain an education. By urgent demand upon his father he was granted six months' schooling each year till nineteen years of age. The war of the rebellion having begun, he went forward at his country's call, and, on September 9, 1861, enlisted as a private in Company A, Forty-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and on the 18th inst. was appointed Corporal, which office he held till his discharge, July 11, 1862, by reason of a gunshot wound in the ankle received at the battle of Shiloh April 6, 1862. After a long and severe sickness from his wound, barely escaping death from gangrene and army diarrhoea, he finally recovered, and, in September, 1862, still on his crutches, he entered college at the Miami University at Oxford, Ohio, where, in July, 1863, he graduated. Thence he entered upon the study of medicine under Prof. W. W. Dawson, of Cincinnati; thence, after attending one course of lectures was appointed Medical Cadet in the West End Hospital, serving as such three months; thence was appointed as Assistant Physician at the Tennessee Hospital for the Insane, holding said position four months; -thence resumed his former position as Cadet in the hospital at Cincinnati, and also took his second course of lectures at the Ohio Medical College, from which, on March 2, 1865, he graduated; thence he passed an examination before the Army Board of Medical Examiners, and received the appointment as Acting Assistant Surgeon of the United States Army March 14, 1865, which position he held till November 14, 1865, when the war being ended, his services were no longer needed. During this time he served in the hospitals at Knoxville, Riceville and Chattanooga. In December, 1865, Dr. Conard located at Peru, Ind., where he practiced in his profession till November, 1875, having established a valuable practice, but from the ill health of his family he removed to New Vienna, Clinton County, Ohio, where he has since continued the practice of his profession. On February 28, 1866, he married Miss Martha E., daughter of Charles and Betsey Good. She died May 1, 1877. By her he had five children; four now survive- Helen, Harvey E., Elms and Robert R. On September 24, 1879, the Doctor married for his second wife Miss Augusta L., daughter of Elijah and Sarah Jane Lacy, who reside near Wilmington, Clinton County, Ohio.

 

Return to the 48th OVVI Veterans Page

 

webmaster@48ovvi.org
12/30/2002